- Flight Stability and Automatic Control, R. Nelson, McGraw-Hill, 2nd ed, 1998.
- Aircraft Performance and Design, John Anderson, McGraw-Hill, 1999.
By the end of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand basic aircraft performance and stability and control (S&C) terminology
- Estimate aircraft performance in steady and accelerated flight mission phases
- Size S&C surfaces of an aircraft
- Demonstrate a physical and mathematical understanding of aircraft flight modes
We will cover S&C and performance topics in the textbooks. Selected topics and sources supplement the text.
- Aircraft Nomenclature, Atmosphere, Instruments
- Static stability and control (FSAC, Chap 1)
- Aircraft equations of motion (FSAC, Chap 2)
- Longitudinal motion (FSAC, Chap 3)
- Lateral motion (FSAC, Chap 4)
- Steady Flight (APD, Chap 5)
- Accelerated Flight (APD, Chap 6)
- Aircraft Performance and Control Projects